Saturday, April 2, 2016

Casting Experience with Kids CHECK

I really hope I can remember all that went on during marathon Tuesday, but I do know I felt awesome. Who doesn’t on their third day of 50mg of prednisone? So we had a late casting call which worked out fabulously because we had a neuro-oncology appointment that went quite smoothly other than running late. No new news really and no big questions, just a little face time and encouragement.

We run off to the meeting place and it’s a beautiful church. Now, I knew we were going to church because of the clothes requested, but this was gorgeous. Alana and Madison had SO much fun, filling in wherever they were pulled. It seemed a little uncertain of who was to be where, but whatever. I met a new friend who we are confident we have met before but still cannot determine how. Her mom passed a few years ago from breast cancer and she fights and fundraises for her ever year in the walk. Made me smile. Eventually she was pulled because parents watching had to go, and I found myself just in a pew, staring forward since I was technically and extra. I should’ve not taken it and hung out with the crew so I could actually SEE the kids, as I only got to do a few things with them before they actually rolled.

During that time, it gave me a chance to, in between takes, look back and giggle at Alana’s fun. She is quite a little ham and her blooper may have trumped all. There was some communication with the lead actor and a starburst and she flat out told her no, she couldn’t have it! WHAT!? One take she sits down, flings herself over two pews and yells Im hungry. Um, love, camera is still rolling and you are supposed to be pan miming, second! I shoved a few cookies down her throat as I realized the time and no break. Madison had been standing in line, making a friend and apparently looked older than 13, yes again, so they didn’t realize she was a kid. Smacking my head. You asked ALL kids to raise their hands. 1-6. Hope it didn’t mess them up when we left, she’s awfully heartbroken she might be pulled from the scene now.

During my sit and wait, I turned to my book 7 Great Women I believe it is by Metaxas and turned to the chapter on Mother Theresa. I’d been getting intrigued, and started where I last left off. I had NO idea her backstory, but I could picture the entire scene and story as if I were there. It was unreal. The miracles she saw, even the smallest, were many. I felt like I could relate. We have had SO many small miracles so far, so many most people just pass them by. But then I came upon this:

She was quoted as saying, “…expect miracles.” I hashtag #expectmiracles ALL the time so it caught my heart and wouldn’t let go.  I don’t remember reading much after that but I do know I left off where they were taking babies in so they could die loved, and that eventually those who didn’t die, were adopted and taken care of.

I didn’t finish the chapter, I would alternate it with the bible and would read many things I’ve read before that I absorbed differently. Like they all had different meanings now. I said prayers, and I would literally stare into Jesus eyes. They had a painting of Jesus and I think wherever you sat in that church, you felt like he could see you. It was bizarre really. I found myself just in awe and truly double taking what I’d read and read it again and again. I would pray and get distracted and go back to reading. It was obviously not silent, but I felt myself absorbed in the stories I was seeing. At one point I read something about saint and about a week ago in my prayer meditation God gave me saints. I immediately thought of the scriptures that spoke of  “pray with all the saints.” So that day, I asked the saints to pray with me and thought I would start doing research on saints. I didn’t, but it was a good thought.

Until now see, apparenty I have been completely overwhelmed by Mother Theresas life and just saw in December of 2015 she was to be a saint. OK. That is pretty cool.

But, of all the things that happened, and all the weird things I’ve never been able to explain except “it had to be God” this next thing still has me perplexed. When we came in that night I looked through the mail quick and noticed a larger envelope. Inside contained 3 things. A pledge sheet, a picture of a girl holding a bag of basic needs, and a magazine like brochure entitled Voice of the Martyrs. I have not taken the moment to look through it but I have it neatly aside waiting. The images were like those of the ones I imagined so I quietly closed it.

I had to just laugh now though, the boy scouts just came to the door for food for the needy. I was able to jump up, go downstairs and fill the bag up! Why is this exciting? One of the miracles that stuck with me was when they were desperate for food, and had none left for the supper meal. They went door to door trying to find food when a lady walks up with to big bags of rice, saying she wasn’t sure why but she needed to bring them to the door. Mini-miracle right there!

So while I’m writing this and someone comes to the door for food, um, it was an instant energizer. Unfortunately that has subsided. I feel like donkey doo and I’m just not feeling like anything is working, only feeling worse where as last time, I felt better almost instantly.

So that is the great and wonderful Extra experience. The down side was that we didn’t get a break and at 11 at night we find ourselves at waffle house on a school night, but it was fun. I had energy, was able to laugh with them and watch them! Alana was unreal disappointed that in make-up and hair that she did not get anything but lip gloss. I was like YOU ARE EIGHT!!!  Crazy girl.



1 comment: