Saturday, November 7, 2015

Imerman Angels

I thought I would blog about my new friend. People say all the time “you're not alone” and it frustrates me a little because actually yes, until yesterday I was alone. Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis is not a diagnosis most anyone has even heard of. The chances of getting it from your original cancer are 2-5% and it's rare. 

I'm not sure why, maybe a promise to a friend that I couldn't break that I would call LiveStrong, but I finally did. One day, chilling in my recliner I did it. They referred me to two different partner programs. Imermans Angels and then a nurse navigator kind of system. 

I first connected with the nurse, who did actually know of my disease and we talked a while about treatment plans and how I felt. I think for the most part we are good there. 

After a missed call and email from Imerman they were finally able to get me. She asked if I was interested in their services and I began to explain I wasn't really sure what I was looking for and was a little hesitant to find someone with what I had. She asked what it was and I was like it's really long, ready? I think I got leptomenin out and she finished it for me. I was shocked. Then more so when she knew exactly who she would pair me with, that they recently talked and she said the same thing!

Within an hour I had an email with both of our contact info. Last night Mary texted me for the first time and then we talked. Our stories were so amazingly similar if you don't count the years between. I think we both might have giggled, I might have even been relieved when we both realized we were getting intrathecal chemo via ommayas! This was so meant to be! Such a perfect connection. She's had 4 clear CSF results and I've had one, all of many I'm sure. Our biggest difference is that she had symptoms and I do not but we are going to stay positive and pray she can get relief. 

We have a lot in common and I feel like I've known her forever. Can't explain it. Maybe it's just knowing we are not alone or knowing what thoughts I've had she's probably had. That we both had the “best kind of breast cancer” and that it was tiny and all those things that lower your guard. It's still all so surreal.

So anyway, I have a new friend and we are going to be friends for a very long time. Going to be praying for sweet Mary and her boys and hopefully one day I'll make it out west to see her. Because that would be awesome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment