Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Long Road Up

So. Think about being on a bike and you look up to see this huge mountain with a steady road to the top. That is how out day began. 

Eleven to six. Those are the hours of my worst pain experience since this began. I turned, breathed, prayed, crouched, twisted, like I was in labor, all night long. My pain meds didn't touch it and I started crying thinking how could I ever start chemo feeling like this. 

I somehow managed to get myself dressed and downstairs. Skip was making the final packing arrangements. We were supposedly leaving for Tybee when chemo was up. 

It was a long quiet drive to cumming. We prayed a lot, prayed psalms and read over promises from God I had highlighted through the years. We were excited to get things started, but scared as I was still fighting a mad amount of pain. 

When we arrived we didn't wait long and the dreaded first access on a two day old port was done. That HURT but so thankful for it! Blood drawn from it and IV fluids drip into it. It's my squishy and I love her. 

We picked a chair in the infusion center. It's much more quaint than going to Emory Factory. But I like it. I even had a chair with butt warmers and massage!!! Now that's cool. 

The nurse came over and starts explaining that my blood looks ok but there is a gross amount in my urine. Linked to the back pain? Probably. We got approval to move on even though it's hard on the kidneys. 

As the chaos is happening skip takes a call from the radiation oncologist, Dr Simon. He tells me that the two spots in the brain actually appear to have tails stretching into the ducts for spinal fluid and that it would be best to do a spinal tap to determine if we are now battling spinal fluid metastasis as well. 

Talk about getting knocked down. The hill was seemingly impossible to climb at this rate and I started losing it more than I had already been losing it. We decided to go into warrior mode and skip walked over to medical records and personally watched the girl send records to MD anderson. I have to say, I have never been more excited to get out there!!

I did my chemo and it was fine. Nothing crazy the day of but that's pretty typical anyhow. I'm curious to see how this plays out. Everyone is so different. 

Because of the severe back pain my urologist had the dr order an X-ray of the stent. We needed to make sure the kidney was not blocked back off. Thankfully within 15 minutes we had results and she released us to go on vacation. 

Finally. Good news. On the way back to the car we happened to run into Dr Simon. He is super sweet and though I've determined he isn't qualified to treat me, running into him brought a little more peace. We told him with the new findings we are more eager to get to MDA more than ever and he said if it were him, he would do the same thing. Then proceeded to ask us if we had the CD of today's scans and walked us to radiology , got it all set up, and we now have everything we need to satisfy the MDA requests!! It's looking up. I think we are getting farther up the climb than we ever thought we could.

We got in the car and met mom, piled in the car and headed into the world of rush hour. So what was supposed to be a 4 hour drive we've managed to make it 6. It would normally stress me out but as we started our journey we prayed for our travels and so I know whatever stall, stop, whatever, was just put in place to keep us safe. Divine distractions. 

So I type this as we drive. 1.20 min left until we get to Tybee. Skips mom
And warren are already there we just get to show up and settle in. I'm not sure what the next day's bring, but so glad I found enough strength to make it to the top. 

We are peaceful, letting the worries of what's next go for a few days, and look forward to just being a family. I may not post for a few days. But that might give Facebook a time to recoup also!!

Can't wait to see how many cancer cells die and how clear my scans are because I have a feeling, and it's a good one. 

Made it back to the top of this mountain. 




No comments:

Post a Comment