Thursday, September 17, 2015

Rad Onc

Rad onc is short for radiation oncologist. Yes, you learn something new every day.

Skip and I got in to see Dr. Simon asap. It was determined I have two tumors on my brain in the cerebellum. I got to see them, and I know its not cool, but it kinda was cool to look at. We talked for a solid half hour about options and techniques including gamma knife and linear accelerator. he started with gamma knife, "...and they will drill this screws in your head to hold your head still..." pretty sure I looked and him and said "OH HELL NO." Whatever I said from there was all nervous talk and then he proceeded to the next. I was intrigued by both but my anxiety was through the roof. We decided we would go home and do a little research, pray about our decision and talk tomorrow.

I got home and about two hours later, he called me back and shared his concerns. He picked up on my nervousness and anxiety. He did a little digging and talked to some colleagues and that they have determined that the linear accelerator with the face mask would be much more tolerable and non invasive, and would be perfect for me! I was blown away that he would take time after seeing me and show that much care and concern.

I left that afternoon with his cell phone in hand which as you all know, is huge to me. I felt like instead of having to go home and search out this scary decision, God just took hold and made it for us. We are feeling the power of prayer in so many ways. Just another mini-miracle to praise God for.

We have a super detailed MRI this Friday, make the mask sometime next week and we should be doing radiation September 30th. When I tell you also how this date becomes so significant, you will again see the power of perfect timing. Excited to zap these suckers out!

Oh, and if you're wondering, the chemo I would do for breast, doesn't work on getting into the brain.


No comments:

Post a Comment