Thursday, September 17, 2015

Rush to the ER

The girls left and all was quiet. Exhausted and overwhelmed, I slid down the front of the refrigerator, sat on the floor and laid my head in Skip's lap. We talked about how amazing the support was and then he looked at me funny. "You need calories baby." So he pulled out a shake, made me drink and we realized I was pretty out of it. I slept fairly well that night and by morning I was starved and had a pretty decent breakfast. We noticed a few things. One, I had zero pain. The first time since I was diagnosed. 2. I was still exhausted, even after sleep. 3. I was slurring my words and had some pretty bad dizziness if I turned my head to quickly to either side. It was like I was drugged and I had not taken a thing.

I called the doctor and we decided it would be best to get my blood pressure taken, but when the oncologist called back and said she was concerned it was my liver function, we decided to head to the ER. I could barely keep my head up, I was completely out of it, and was definitely not myself. It was quite scary wondering, "Is this my liver failing?" Thankfully things progressed quickly and they even were able to do the brain MRI quickly, lots and lots of bloodwork. My dad met us there and we prayed for a miracle while we waited.

Dr. Funk (yes the best name EVER) first he said my blood work looked amazing! Breathe! YES! I have been on a liquid/puree diet since last Wednesday so that was definitely a concern. Not that! My liver function tests were up, but guess what NOT THAT! He said mine were between 100 and 200 and he sees them into the thousands, so maybe I just had a few drinks. Not that! So why did I feel like I was on some lala land drug? Our only guess can be this, mushrooms.

The night before, we got this AMAZING pot of mushroom bisque. Three different kinds and hearty and so tasty. To the point where I may have eaten 2-3 cups worth over an hour. As a kid I was allergic to mushrooms, so the only thing we could think is that I just had a really weird reaction. Otherwise, it was God's way of moving the MRI up so we could get a move on and get some answers. Maybe a little of both.

Guess we we will never know, but I am thankful the liver still works. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment