Sunday, October 4, 2015

Day Two in Houston & The Trip Home

Day two of MD Anderson was great. We did our famous drive-by throw me out of the car Starbucks run and made it over to the hospital. Dr. Booser fit us in so we waited a while.
There was a visit from a volunteer lady named Kitty (I’ve only met one in my life and she was just as awesome), listened to a beautiful gift some amazing friends made (I made it through finally without hyperventilating), and nothing else too eventful. We are called back and they put me in this room with a fancy chair. It had a remote and a blanket. Mmmm. Nap time! No, Dr. Booser comes in all smiles, sits down and starts calling my oncologist back home. I’m like, uhhh. HAHA! Awesome! She didn’t answer, so he just wrote his recommendations for us. We talked about some other fun things and then off we went! We were free and I skipped down the hall. (I haven’t skipped in a good month) I had a great energy and so we decided off to the park we would go!

We went to Hermann Park in Houston super close to the hospital. Hermann ALWAYS makes me laugh because it was one of my grandfather’s favorite names. When Alana was going to make her way into the world, he would tease Madison to pieces saying, “oooh, I have the perfect names! Hermann and Henrietta!” She would get so mad and we would all laugh. This was his go to names for everything. So I knew this would be an great park experience. And it was.

We found our way to the city bike rentals and hopped on. We saw the Reflection Pool, The JApanese Zen Garden, the beautiful lake and bridges, almost rode the pedal boat, and just overall a beautiful time. Skip and I really had not had alone time since our last ride together a few days after diagnosis, so this was special and you could not get the grin off my face. It was awesome.

Then we found lunch in this CUTE little cafe and had the sandwich of my life. It was glorious and the atmosphere was perfect. We went back to the hotel, snagged a mini nap and then Dr. Booser called. He stated radiation oncology Thinks that we are doing the right thing but doesn’t see the need for LP. Now I’m weightless. What great news!

For some reason (oh, maybe the overdoing it part) I’m wiped out. I mean like bad but soooo worth it. I was having back spasms, muscles that hadn’t been used in weeks were like, say what? You crazy lady, slow down! haha. So I did, we quietly drove to the airport and that’s when it all started to fall apart.

Dr. Booser calls back and says he was SO sorry, but he overlooked two important letters L and P. And they DO recommend it. UGH. The enemy knew my fear, dang it! I didn’t cry, I just went looking for encouragement because I was already exhausted, bad news, I knew this was going nowhere good. Within an hour the blessing of many angels in my life had scooped me up, put me directly in God’s hands where I knew it would all be okay. It HAS to be.

I have another 15% friend and I always remember his story and I’ll never forget his encouraging me last time and finally meeting him in person. He is a GREAT inspiration to me and I found out he too, had it in his spine. Well he rides like a million miles a year and one of the greatest fighters I know! Thanks for being my hero, you know who you are.

So we get to the airport and drop off the car. When the guy sees the wheelchair he’s like NO! Get back in! I will drive you over!! You don’t need to take the shuttle! Sweet!! So we all pile in and he pushes his code. Except, I notice the car in front of us has popped tires, and poof, now we do too. Apparently the little thing doesn’t work!! So he zooms around the corner and within like two minutes he has us reloaded into a new car. Super nice guy and find out his wife went to MD Anderson. :) Made me smile.

At the airport we walk up to the counter to the by far most pink Delta agent I have ever seen. She was PINK! Earring, pins, scarves, PURSE even, she was going on about her support though she doesn’t have anyone in her family with it, and we were just smiling thank you. Can’t remember how I finally told her (I think people think with my mask Im just one big germ) but she had a look of shock and was like Oh!! I shouldn’t have been rambling like that. We assured her we were just glad she was supporting our fight <3

Then we get our airport guide. I’m already cracking up. Maybe a russian accent? Unsure. But Sebastian says, “you are not in a rush? I will go lock up my kiosk outside. Drink my coffee. You okay waiting 5-10 minutes?” I’m like, sure! Go drink your coffee, go chill! lol, I don’t really care. So he comes back gets us, literally rolls around the corner and there is security. Like a little one. I throw my Starbucks bag away and mosey on through.

We knew by now our flight kept getting delayed so we found this great couch area, lysol wiped the heck out of it, and made ourselves at home. The airport was dead and I felt a little peace in knowing that. Did I mention there was a Starbucks next to us. Yes, we were golden. Lemon pound cake and Green Tea. Mmm. Except, after a long day, my liver for whatever reason thought that was a horrible idea and so I had to deal with that. BUT I will say, having the choice, liver pain over kidney pain is my preference if it’s mine to choose. (PS no kidney pain for at least 4 days. No pain pills. It’s there, but not debilitating like it was. Huge praise). Cancer is dying!!!

So we make the flight, all is well, they greet us by name at the check in like we were some rock stars and board quite quickly. They want to get home as bad as we do! Relatively short flight, got a little sleep and then we are home!!!! Well, not yet.

First, we pass a backpack laying on the ground. Granted, it has a little pink on the underside like maybe it fell, but we tell a janitor who speaks no English. We are pointing and think he figured it out. We were freaking out so we couldn’t get on the elevator fast enough. That is the last thing we need!! Or was it, because we get down and guess what? The train is broken. Where are we, oh my, we are at the D, yes almost last terminal in Atlanta Airport. Oh, did I mention Skip is pushing me because they have no one to assist me? lol. 3 back packs, a wheel chair and me! Thankfully I’ve lost those 15 pounds! ;)

All I have to say is this guy is tough. He wheeled me in, around, up and down elevators and escalators for almost an hour. And when we got to the end, the train began to work. I’m laughing. This is fun. For me.

So we get in the car, head HOME! Waze says 51 minutes, 51 miles and we have 61 miles of gas! Go!! We go, it’s like who knows how late and we have to stop for gas because that 61 dropped quickly. Get off, and wait. And wait… and wait. Like forever. So we run the light and I kid you not a SEMI is perpendicular to the ENTIRE 4 lane. I’m DYING LAUGHING and I’m like oh skip, its divine distractions! Who knows what would happen if we were on OUR time! Just going with the flow now and its fun. Again for me, I see Skip is not nearly as amused as I. I now have a second wind and I’m thinking D&B would be a fun thing to do. It distracts for a while and we are home. For real this time!!

I Ativan up! Wash my face! Change my clothes! And in bed I go! I am GOING TO SLEEP! I’m feeling human. Feeling stronger. Feeling like we are going to win this battle. Feeling thankful for another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment