Thursday, August 18, 2016

Randomess

Today I had the repeat CSF draw and it stung like a bee the entire time, about 60 seconds. For those that do not know, Emory lost my draw from last week and changed all my scheduling, to wrong times and weeks, and it’s just been a nightmare. Not only was my car possessed but now my doctor office?! Slowly getting it figured out with nice deep breaths.

I’ve still been feeling good, so afterward Tara and I went to lunch and had a little shopping spree at IKEA! My dream store. I had a great time spending the day with my buddy, thank you!

So, I wanted to back track a little tonight. A few days ago I was referred to a guy named Jim. He has LM, making him my LM brother. I’ve never had a brother before so I was all over it!! We made some time to actually talk on the phone and I was instantly realizing we had a lot in common. He goes to doctors in California, he is a two year survivor of LM and a I think 12 year survivor or more of brain cancer. We realized we were both endurance racers, him being an ironman triathlete, me, mountain biking.

It was actually really good to talk to someone about not being able to do the sport you love anymore, but both adapting to things we can. How sometimes it hurts when you see people post or talk about their amazing enduro adventures, but then remembering how much of a gift it is to just be alive! He’s committing to a trail run, and I’m riding and walking when I can on the road, and that is enough. We talked about how every day is special and how you cant let the future what ifs take over your mind, and how the people around us know when we are down, right there pulling us out. How much imagery works and stay positive is the key to half the battle. He doesn’t do FB but I became friends with his wife on Facebook, total sweetheart, and we are going to meet on one of these visits to Santa Monica!! So how cool is that?! I have a LM brother, long term survivor, and I’m going to meet him.

Now I would’ve said lets meet this trip in a couple of weeks BUT I have that reserved for my sweet little chemo sister Brittany. I am SOOO excited. I found out about her about a month or two after my 9-9 diagnosis, Brittany Black. At first I would just pray for her and comment here and there, but in March she contacted me and we just started chatting. Shes so young with young babies, and I just fell in love with her.

We decided we needed to meet and Skip is helping me make this happen!! We are flying into SF so we can be tourists, driving to her house the next day, and then driving the coastline to Santa Monica! We’ve been talking about a date weekend, and I think this is going to be AWESOME and cannot WAIT.

We spent last Sunday with Maggie and it was great! She looked so good, I felt good, and all just seemed right with the world. We left there and visited his dad to drop him off his birthday present and then went out to eat with Gloria and Mema afterward at Applebee’s. For some reason that is Alana’s choice restaurant in Griffin. Totally cracks me up as Skip and I ate there ALL the time in college.

Last night we had a little girls night at our house honoring a sweet woman fighting a big fight. The girls around that table had so much to talk about, relate to, and I was so blessed by their being with us. Recently my friend Lesley started Mary Kay, and I felt God telling me I had to help her kick things off. So we did and we helped a woman in need at the same time, and that is going to be her forever goal. To help a women feel pampered, loved, and supported.

Finally, the last thing I want to write about is my friend’s sweet daughter doing her senior project on my journey this last year. She is planning to do a video of home videos and we need your help if you can! Please make a short video telling Avery how my story has affected you. Whatever it is or may be, record it on your phone (landscape would be best) and please send it to:


or PM Avery Long on Facebook under my friends.


Thank you SO much for making this happen. So much for the continued love we receive. I’m so touched still by the random notes I get on a daily basis. You guys are awesome and I know I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the best team ever. Go #teamnadine! We fight and continue to find hope every day, one day at a time. #findinghope

No comments:

Post a Comment