Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Evelyn's Poem, Hope

I want to share a story that happened last trip to Santa Monica. skip and I were wandering back from the beach when I saw a girl writing on her vintage typewriter. I was drawn to her. My mind took me to the memories of my mom and how very fast she was able to type on it! Yes, this is the pre-printer era young ones!

We wandered over and there was a little box that advertised character art or poems on an index card. Skip speaks out, "can you write one about hope?" She threw everything down and jumped for the opportunity. 

Now let me take a step back. I was done up, wig, wide brim hat, and sunglasses. It wasn't like she had any clue I was a cancer patient or a unicorn but this is what she wrote:
Tears were streaming out of my eyes and then she reads unicorn and she got my "shut up!! There is no way!"

We got done and talked a little about our lives and how we ended up at the same place at the same time. That was no coincidence. We took a few pictures and danced around the sidewalk and went our separate ways.

I turned at the last point before going into the hotel to make sure that it was all real. She was standing with her arms raised to the ocean. It made me smile. It was beautiful. Thank you Evelyn Schmelling, you're one of a kind. 

2 comments:

  1. How awesome. So true. So beautiful. So perfect. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how God works. I am so grateful his plan is always better than mine.

    ReplyDelete