Thursday, July 4, 2013

Oncotype DX

Well, that was kind of annoying. I just wrote a nice big blog and it didn't save it. So now we get the condensed version, lets see...

The girls have been awesome since church Sunday. They've quit bickering, they are helping one another and around the house, and its made things a hundred times easier to deal with. Skip went back to work this week which has been working out well. We had several friends, and my dad yesterday, help entertain us and help with dinner and chores. It's beyond a blessing to have so many people pitching in to keep things moving along.

Yesterday I got a call from the doctor with the Oncotype DX results. I'll be honest, I completely forgot about this test which I guess is another blessing. Who wants to stress about getting a score that determines how likely it is that your cancer will come back? Um, not me! Ok. So anyway. Basically a score under 18 means chemo is likely ineffective for you, over 30 means it would likely be beneficial, and then the 22 points inbetween is the gray area where it may or may not be effective. You already know where mine fell, right? The gray area of course! My lucky number is 27.

I've mentioned to a few people that at this point we expect that I will have to do chemo. That doesn't mean we're stressing over it or planning ahead, I think our hearts are just prepared. With the tumor being larger than we thought, my age, the fact that it was fairly aggressive and now being on the higher end of the gray area, it just seems likely. We will know for sure on the 18.

I know i can do it if i need to. God gives me undeniable strength and peace on a daily basis. That scripture in the last post, "I will have no fear of bad news, for I trust in The Lord" has me covered in a peace that is unexplainable to this world as prior to that reveal I was getting nervous. Stupid junk started creeping in like a poison and it took me a couple of days and that friend sharing that scripture to shake my head and happily move on.

We have said from day one, it's going to be a crazy year. Thankfully little by little were chipping away at that crazy year and learning a whole lot in the midst of it. Hopefull at the end of it we can look back and know exactly why we had to go through it too.

Give some one a hug today, and happy rainy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment