Friday, July 26, 2013

Meet My Port...


Madison woke up today and asked me if I had gotten my port. I said yes and she asked me if I had named it. I asked her why she thought I would've named my port. She said, "because that is something you would do..." He he. Se knows me well. I think I'm going to name it Lovie, but I need to make sure that's cool with Madison first.

Yesterday I went in to get my port. It was a really long day as they were hours behind schedule. Thankfully I wasn't very nervous, more hungry since I had to fast. It was an overall kinda-okay experience. I did meet a wonderful nurse who was trying to save me from getting pricked twice, sending me back to radiology, but in the end they sent me back to her. I was basically messing with their system and they couldn't accommodate. I was a little on edge from getting blood and getting an IV right up to the point I looked up at her name tag, it was Joy. And she was a sweetheart. After that, no worries... Even the IV was a piece of cake later.

 They do a lot of prep in the room before they sedate you. I remember asking them twice how long it takes to work, because there was no strange feeling or what they said, "you'll hear us but you won't care." I felt and listened to the entire numbing process and again told her I was pretty coherent. She said she was giving me more and from that moment on, I was out cold. I wasn't feeling great after the drugs, so I took lots of PM medicine and crashed through the night. Today I'm feeling better. We just left Dr. Namnoum who literally scolded me for letting Emory implanting the port without asking him first. He wants it done right, with as little scar as possible - basically he is a perfectionist and made it clear he wants the very best for me. So I agreed to never have another procedure without consulting him first. Lol. It was like getting sat-down by my dad! I was a little nervous! Haha! He took out more fluid and we are waiting until next Tuesday to expand again since we are headed out of town. 

As far as chemo is concerned, we are just going to see how it goes. I'm going to check out Illuminations Tuesday for a wig and Thursday is the first treatment. I've been told to expect to not feel good starting about 3 days after treatment. Then possibly again at 10-14 days when your neutrophils are lowest. Most people said the fourth treatment is the hardest. Guess we are just going to wait and see. One of those things we literally cannot prepare for - and for me that is hard! Thankfully we won't need too much help as the kids go back to school the fifth. Once again, perfect timing.

Off to go play in Charlotte 24 Hours of Booty... Kinda weird not to be prepping for a ride!! Instead I get to cheer, volunteer, take pictures, & talk! Can't wait to see who I'll meet this weekend! 

:) happy weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment