Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Physical therapy and Pink Ribbons

I just got back from PT with magical Gweyn. Today she added 1 pound weights and made me lay on my stomach! EEK. That was SUPER scary! She assured me that it was all good, which of course, it was. She has me doing these push up things. More like a lower back stretch, but regardless it felt SO good. We did yoga moves and some other interesting things to help my spine and posture, and wow it works! She's awesome and gave me a huge hug before we left. I can't wait to see where I am in two more weeks! Maybe I'll be doing a handstand!!! ;)

I left there and had a second appointment, actually not with a doctor. My plastic surgeon started a non-profit back in 2009 called the Pink Ribbon Story Foundation. Basically, it will eventually be a massive catalog of women's stories who have battled breast cancer for newly diagnosed woman to go to for encouragement and research. I was honored to be a part of the filming today, and made a lot of new friends. There were lots of smiles and lots of giggles, so in my book, that is a good day. I sincerely love people, and if sharing my story can help someone else, by all means, I am in.

I did meet a woman today who did the Penguin Cold Cap who said she would do it again in a heartbeat, but I don't think I'm that dedicated. It's a lot of money and seems like a lot of work, for something that will come back over time. (Maybe I could score a little thicker hair even! lol). As I heard her story, how and why she did it, I realized how different each and every one of us is. We faced the same disease, with strength, but with two totally different personalities. She needed no one to know, she needed to feel as normal as possible. Obviously, I need everyone to know, as I draw contentment from the social interaction. I don't really care if someone stops me and asks how I am doing... She said it would make her sick if someone did... We were both completely opposite, but peaceful in our storms. Very enlightening for me...

I'm not trying to belittle what people go through, I'm walking my own trial, but having a positive, fun attitude, making light of what could be very dark, is my way of getting through. I hope other people can find their "happy" amidst the storms. Trusting God allows me to be free... I can't imagine doing life any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment