Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Cute MRI Girl

I sat down and waited for my MRI. A cute girl walks over to get me and shows me around and gets me ready for the fun morning. I emphasized over and over how badly IV's hurt me, and she calmed me down a bit, but I wasn't getting anything to numb it. We talked and talked and as she was doing it, NOTHING. And I mean I felt nothing. I was in half shock but the greater shock came when she spoke up... "So what are you going to do if you have chemo." I thought for a second and said, "Well I'd hope to get a port." She goes, "I LOVED my port."  I was paired up with a stage 3 breast cancer survivor at age 36. She told me a little bit of how she found it and we talked, but then she told me this amazing story:

My kids were 5 and 7 and I decided to give them jobs. Not jobs like laundry or picking up, but jobs to help me. So they could feel like they were taking part in my recovery. My 7 year old son was to make me laugh and he was great at it! My 5 year old at the time was scared of the dark and had a passy problem, she had 8 at one time. I gave her the job of making my hair grow back. She'd sneak into my room at night, pull back my hat, and rub my head. I'd pretend to be asleep. This scared little girl had the courage to walk down the hall and help her mommy. When she felt the first stubble coming back she was so excited and great empowerment was given to her and taught me so much.

This woman was so inspiring... what a blessing and gift.


1 comment: