Sunday, September 18, 2016

Joy

I think coming down just 5mg of Prednisone has worsened the effects already. Or maybe it’s that the caffeine hasn’t kicked in, but oh do I hurt today. My back and head and boy I’m a wobble bobble head, but yesterday was pretty good! So we take the wins as they come. I have been praying all morning, thinking about thankfulness and how to find joy in the midst of the storm and came to realize I have been lacking in joy. Joy was the first of my words when I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 7 years ago.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. James 1:2-3

Consider it pure joy when I face my trial? My storms? Why? Because it will produce in me perseverance. Endurance. A scary word for me. I am a sprinter at heart. I like to get things done quickly. I was a 50 yard sprint swimmer, a sprinter on my bike, a graphic designer who could nail down a logo or ad in an hour. Endurance has never been in me until I found the awesomeness of joy. It got me through cancer the very first time. A big thumbs up to my doctor when he came in to deliver the news and a life and spirit filled with joy. It is who I am and it developed in me an endurance to pull me through seven years.

My word changes every year. I’ve had words like love, perspective, hope, peace and today I circle back and just reflect on joy. It’s been missing. I’m positive, but that is not joy. Joy is hard to describe, a gift from the holy spirit that I believe encompasses all of these words and creates a feeling in our soul, an emotional benefit that cannot be denied. It is being happy or content when it doesn’t make sense to be. When you are so at peace that a smile and warmth fill your heart. It’s an overwhelmingly good feeling that seems to want to burst out of your inner being. It is my favorite fruit of the spirit.

So for the rest of today I ask for joy to refill my heart and yours. To eliminate and overcome any fear, pain or struggle, and replace it with joy.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23

Love is still the ultimate gift and joy cannot come without it, but joy comes second to love in this verse showing the power joy has. Join me today in searching for joy, searching for truth and trusting you can receive this gift, even in the darkest of days. I said it before and will say it again, this is war and we need weapons not only of this world, but from the bridge to beyond. Walk across the bridge today and find your word and be glad. Today is a gift, cherish it, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I will choose joy.






3 comments:

  1. well said, I was excited when we came over it was like any other good time. that was fun, Isla had a blast and so did everyone. and I got to see 13 up close... ahh that day will come oh gee

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said, I was excited when we came over it was like any other good time. that was fun, Isla had a blast and so did everyone. and I got to see 13 up close... ahh that day will come oh gee

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Holy Spirit was definitely talking to me through this blog, thank you my sister in Christ. xo

    ReplyDelete